This portfolio is divided into four sections to share information about my skills and experiences working in international and American schools as an instructional technologist, curriculum coordinator, social studies teacher, counselor, student services coordinator and coach. The Documents section provides links to download my CV, contributions to schools and other documents. The My Work page shares examples of my work with students, teachers and administrators. The Standards section provides a listing of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) standards for technology coaches that I work to fulfill in my work. The Exemplars section lists artifacts of my work as a leader, collaborative curriculum partner and professional development provider.
What I Bring to a School
- 30+ years experience of classroom teaching, curriculum development, instructional technology, counseling & program coordination
- Broad educational background: Davidson College (BA in History & Humanities), Christopher Newport University (Social Studies Teacher Certification), College of William and Mary (Masters in Counseling), University of Edinburgh (Certificate in Specific Learning Disabilities) and University of Virginia (Ed.S. in Instructional Technology)
- Themes from Strengths Profile: Learner, Achiever, Input, Individualization, Ideation
- Multifaceted Nature of Instructional Technology: Innovation Coach, Personalized PD Designer, Information and Communication Literacies Integrator, TPACK Coach, Curriculum Collaborator, Community Communication Coordinator and Student & Teacher Personal Learning System Developer, After-school enrichment consultant and teacher.
- Life coaching approach to guidance counseling through individual, groups and whole classroom and via advisory and virtual curricula.
- Social studies teaching centered around Project-based learning, inquiry, concept attainment and blended learning.
- Publisher of articles & insights in blogs and magazines related to learning and technology integration. Personal blog at Lessons Learned. Podcasting at Ed Tech Co-Op.
- Experience in Gifted Ed and Learning Resource support to provide differentiated content, process & products.
- Extensive Curriculum Development experience using Understanding by Design construct.
- Virtual School implementation for Hong Kong International School during SARS as well as “next generation" planning for crisis management leading to developing blended learning at other schools.
- Creator of the Digital Scholars after-school enrichment program
- Teaching with a variety of instructional models and Learning 2.0 collaborative tools
- IT internship in the US’s first “laptop district” during that district’s first year of implementation
- Creator & coordinator of "Student Services Team" programs for Middle and High schools
- Conference presenter
- Apple Distinguished Educator
- Networking widely with educators in the field of instructional technology and education reform.
- Professional development provider focusing on personalizing learning for staff members
- Webmaster and Learning Management System administrator
- Videography and screencasting as project-based learning vehicle starting in kindergarten
- Learning and general community builder
- Coaching a variety of sports
- Recognition as a strong team-builder, proactive program developer and creative thinker